Transforming SEND services - Update on the 'Local Offer'
Helping families to educate their children at home
With children and young people out of education settings at the moment, families may be needing a bit of extra help to keep their child’s education progressing, or to help keep them entertained. The Local Offer, Hertfordshire’s website for families of young people aged 0 -25 with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), has a resources area where parents and families can find materials and resources they can use to help their child learn key skills. The resources area is to specifically support families whose child has an additional need, although there are certain educational activities that can help any pupil to develop a skill they may be struggling with and so anyone can use them.
The resources area includes:
- Activity sheets and ideas provided by the Specific Learning Difficulties team, which can help progress in key areas including writing, memory, numbers and spelling
- Practical help for children who are struggling with their mental health, either as a result of COVID-19 or more generally
- Help with explaining COVID-19 to younger children and young people with autism, including social stories and easy read documents
- Materials which help young people to develop their independence, including cooking activities
- Lots of fun ideas for your children to do independently or as a family at home to encourage them to explore and use their imagination
Find it all at www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/SENDresources